Monday 1 September 2014

Rules and Regs - Day I

Time for something a little bit crazy.

In May of 2013, I joined in with a blogging project that lead to me writing for almost every single day that month.  It was a mad journey that was sometimes a real struggle, lighthearted titles ill-suited for a serious minded, long form committed depression battler.  Even now, with things being slightly better (not withstanding last week lol!), I'm sure I'd still struggle.  I tried putting pictures into a blog the other week, inspired by one of Wordpress's Daily Prompts and it was... okay?  I guess?  I dunno.

So this is round two.  My own stab at writing every day a month gives me a chance to forge, through sheer force of habit, a better habit.  I actually enjoy writing a hell of a lot, and like I said last time, it forms a vital escape from singing that rescues me from the utter dregs of inadequacy.  I can even claim to be a published professional, because I get paid for some of the things I write that appear in print.  There's something absolutely magical about seeing your name at then end of something that's going to be distributed to the public.  I also can't help but enjoy the irony of being a socially awkward and often debilitatingly anxious person who puts themselves in a firing line of public expression, both through publishing this and being a musician...come on, sometimes I still play the organ.

There are some internal rules I'm going to impose though, so this thing has at least a semblance of structure.  


  • Seriously man, there will be a post every day.


Have you tried writing something every day for a month?  It isn't easy.  There are no shortcuts.  I have four avenues of sharing this myself, and actually, if you like reading this stuff then I encourage you to share it as well!  I run a twitter just for this now as well, which is linked to a Glipho profile, my personal twitter and of course, Facebook; I won't post every day to my personal pages though.  I think three a week is enough to promote.

  • There has to be a word limit
I remember when I was younger, trying to write essays for school and struggling at the 150 word mark.  Now, as I'm sure you'll know, it's the absolute opposite.  When I worked at Truro School, I recall laughing at VIth formers complaining about how a 500 word essay was just too much.  Even after an undergrad, 500 words is close to or near enough to too little.  I regularly knock out pieces to the order of 1000 as a minimum on here, so there'll be no less than 500 because that would be TOO EASY and possibly lazy.  Unless it's a poem.  I might post parts of the Crown that I've been working on, if I'm feeling particularly brave.

  • We're going to keep doing what we're doing, whether or not a single record is sold

I've noticed a bit of a slump as far as readership's concerned.  I'm sure there's a core audience (Coredience?), but it's down and I don't exactly feel too great about that.  Maybe some people are turned off by my trying of new things, rather than just moaning and complaining and giving away what might just be a little bit too much personal information.  I'm just going to keep slogging on.  "There is more nobility in hard work than in pure luck", of course, and this is another part of the "mission" of Blogging Every Damn Day In September.  I'm also going to get a "professional" website set up so I can put my gradually growing portfolio of programme notes and welcome packs up without them only being found next to all the personal posts as well (because I'm sure that can't be good either).  I'll also advertise my singing services on this professional gaff as well, although who the hell wants to listen to a countertenor is simply beyond me...


So there's only another 29 entries to go now,  I know this was a bit of a cheat but it's my blog and I can write whatever I like.  I might even try and talk about things I don't want to talk about, you know, the sort of stuff that'll make my mother ring me to check I'm alright.  Or maybe I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment