Monday 29 September 2014

If King Manasses

Oh I'm sick Master.  Sick as it gets.  Sicker than a dog!

I really should have called this Blog Every Week Day In September, because the amount of weekends this month that I've either just not or been too hungover to actually get my laptop up and running and actually write is currently a 100% rate.  In my defense for this weekend, I seemed to have come down with a light case of food poisoning that made yesterday in particular a complete and total nightmare.  I know that one ought not to be so graphic, but there's a point where you vomit after brushing your teeth at twenty to nine in the morning that you just know it isn't going to be a good day.  I hate to put so fine a point on it, but I really am getting tired of people just assuming that I've been out on the lash when I say I don't feel very well.  There is of course a subtle difference between the two, and if anything it's just disappointing that I haven't been out!

I still feel absolutely dreadful of course, and I suppose that strictly speaking I shouldn't be sat at the desk as I am now.  I shouldn't remotely have been in to choir yesterday, but there we go.  I never give myself the option to miss the service unless I'm actually crippled and unable to move.  Old habits die hard, eh?  At least I no longer feel like a human landmine... Or do I?  Updates on the appropriate social networks as the day goes on.  I'm actually quite good at being ill these days, you know, I just take myself off very quietly and then go and be ill and then come back without people really knowing.  Last night was absolutely dreadful and hilarious at the same time, sleeping for half an hour at a time with it feeling like an eternity, then waking drenched in a cold sweat at midnight, and then sleeping through completely unbroken until 8 in the morning.  And now I'm here wishing... Not quite for death, but definitely for a cessation in PHYSICAL MISERY.

Really that's the most misery on my plate, and I have that much alone to be thankful for.  I'm gradually working my way through my stack of books, including keeping a Palahniuk in the stalls of a Sunday.  I've just finished Sara Benincasa's Agorafabulous! Dispatches From My Bedroom, which is at turns both hilarious and harrowing, and sometimes just grimly uncomfortable.  Parts of it have reminded me of just how bad past episodes have been, which is never easy, but reading something as honest as that, without trying to sound too clichéd, does give me hope.  And sometimes it's just been straight up, laugh out loud funny.

As the month limps to a close though, perhaps this is the time for a short valediction before I do the running totals tomorrow and consider what the next move is.  Writing every day is difficult.  It was difficult last time I tried it and it's been difficult again this time, and it'll still be difficult next time I do it.  I like it though really!  It's a shame I don't actually have a schedule or direction though, as trying to come up with original material every day isn't as simple for me as I'd like it.  Controversially, I'm keeping a record of the music list and the repetition of repertoire - I'm sure it'll go down a bomb with the local Junior Deity but it's at least going to be interesting.  Rather than sit around and think "have we done this before?" at least we'll know.  I might just pull up all the music lists from the last three years so I can put together a little study because well do you think I really have anything better to be doing with my time?  I can submit it to peer review and get it published in some journal and add it to my portfolio of professional writing for next year!  Ha ha!

Next week heralds the return of Cardinal Sin and a cinema trip beckons so I'll have something NEW and EXCITING and INTERESTING to write about (all those capitalisations are probably going to be red herrings though, let's be honest).  Hopefully next week will include a 100% return to strength and health as well, so at least I can stop bloody moaning about that.  Office work is gradually winding down as well, so I'll be glad of the financial benefits come pay day, especially after having not even stepped foot in an office for at least a week by then.

If only I didn't feel so ill...

No comments:

Post a Comment