Tuesday 30 September 2014

Alleluia! I Heard a Voice

So.  One month.  Ah... Almost every day.  How was it for you?

Like I said yesterday, even though it starts to become a struggle, I really like writing every day.  I enjoy writing.  I like it because it means I have a voice without having to open my mouth, without making a sound except for the constant clatter of the keyboard.  It's therapeutic.  It's a great stress reliever.  Hopefully, I'll be able to make light out of all my problems by writing about them.  I'm still just a little tiny bit too serious about everything; it's all so personal, I can't so much detach myself as completely dissociate, I haven't found my middle ground, but... Still.  Baby steps.

I'm still very much established in a mode of personal reflection.  Write what you know, huh?  There are awkward forays into different territories, so I ought to work hard on myself and push to be more comfortable.  One thing is that I get no feedback these days.  There used to be a stock of regular readers who would give oral feedback but that seems to have dried up, and I certainly don't get any comments, here or there.

It's blatantly obvious that I have fewer readers compared to my last blog as well, which is a little disheartening, but we carry on.  Tomorrow will be seven (SEVEN) months since I started over, and all told I'll have pulled in around two and a half thousand hits, which is pretty tidy.  There's still plenty of time for me to go viral after all.

But it's time for the scores on the doors, so without any further ado...!


  • Out of 30 days, there are 15 posts.
  • The running total not including this is 11,000 words dead on, 60706 characters in total.
  • The average sentence length is 19 words, over a total of 115 paragraphs.
  • The average word count is 788 per post.
  • The most common word?  "Time."
  • Speaking of time, the average time of publishing was 1:42pm, with only two posts after midnight.
  • There's been 578 views this month alone, 35.7% of all views since March.


So, what's next?  Obviously I haven't really been posting every day.  I think every writer experiences days where there's just nothing to say, not like having block but just nothing.  I don't have an enormous stock of suitable pre-written material that's ready to be edited for here either, so substitutions aren't exactly easy.  Whether by madness or bravery I decided to put a sonnet up, and who knows, maybe I'll get a hold on the exact lunacy that led me to and do so again.  This is after all, my blog for everything, not just moaning about how much I hate myself and everything around me.  There have been some things that I've wanted to write about, like Chestnut-gate and what Madame Mim really means to me, but those things have been so close to the bone it'd be a third degree burn.

Maybe I'd like to get involved in more community based things?  I dunno!  I should obviously get out more.  Maybe this would help.  The latest upcoming trip to Exeter (either this Saturday or next) will obviously form prime candidacy for this sort of thing.  Over the coming months there are ideas for London, Oxford and maybe even Bristol on the books as well.  Travel broadens the mind even if it does narrow your vision sometimes, and lessen your funds.  I'm still not really taken with pictures in my blogs but it's no reason not to try I suppose.  Even though I keep my commonplace with me I hardly write in it anymore, but that's because my life has been boiled into the alarming regularity of a 9-5 office job.  Yes, exciting things happen like my sickness (don't worry everyone, I'm still ill!), but other than that it's still the same people in the same place saying the same things at more or less the same times.  The predictability is killing me.  Actually, one really thrilling thing that's happening is a band forming with the Scholars; rather than the usual done to death close harmony arrangements (And So It Goes?  Enough already), we're performing as an outfit at the Old Ale House's open mic jam nights on Mondays instead!  We already have Minnie the Moocher under our belts, along with My Evaline (...), so there's calls for some Earth Wind and Fire, and the likelihood of another Barbershop classic in the offing for next time.

In the meantime, if anybody does have anything helpful to suggest then go ahead.  If you'd like to guess at this latest string of titles' origins as well, I'm open to competition entries.  You won't find out if there's a prize if you don't try.

This is another month drawn to a close.  If another opportunity for BEDM crops up I'll jump on board, sure, but otherwise I need (and I do really, really need) a regular schedule, even if that's running to a week A/week B kind of thing.  Blah blah blah.  I say this every time and never hold to it.  I'm sorry.  You must be so disappointed in me.  I'm still here though (yes, still), so that must be disappointing to you too.  Some of you, anyway.  This is it for September though, as we all breathe a collective sigh of relief, but October is literally twelve hours away.  Don't think you've got off lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment