Wednesday 13 August 2014

Bookish Choice

A literary-minded witch gives you a choice: with a flick of the wand, you can become either an obscure novelist whose work will be admired and studied by a select few for decades, or a popular paperback author whose books give pleasure to millions. Which do you choose?



Today's prompt reminds me of that whole press the button thing that suddenly appeared on Tumblr not too long ago, giving us impossible choices at insane prices.  I just declined to press the button on "becoming a powerful Jedi in the Star Wars universe BUT I would be followed by an unkillable Jar Jar Binks."  Eurgh.  To be fair I think that one's pretty much a no-brainer (Or is it?  Discuss for forty marks, without mentioning "the sanctity of life").  I was quite clear on that one.  But what about this?  Both are a kind of literary fame, but there's kind of an intellectual angle on here as well.  And maybe immortality.

Being studied for decades, and even centuries confirms a certain immortality to people and things; Bach, Shakespeare, Donne, Galileo, Kant, Mendeleev, and Leonardo Da Vinci, to name but a few from major arts and sciences whose names are never far from even the everyday student's lips, never mind those engaged in serious study.  Thanks to their achievements, they have secured a kind of human eternity, that as long as there are those who remember them, their lives and their works, they live on.  Could Bright be added to this pantheon?  My family name already has a few famous characters, with Sheffield goldsmiths, hymnodists, politicians, and one relative who was instrumental in the laying of Transatlantic Cables in the 1860s.  Maybe I would prefer to step up in an occult fashion, and be known in hushed circles for my largely unknown but telling contributions to the literary canon, like some of my favourite composers who are hidden so firmly and darkly in the shadow of J.S Bach that it isn't even funny.

So anyway.  Crunch time.  There's definitely a life in peddling paperbacks to the masses, it's part of the industry that's vital to keeping up book sales, whether paper or pixels.  I don't see myself as that kind of writer though, just looking back on this post rather than taking in the entire oeuvre (ha ha...), what with the programme notes and the crown and all posting every day and planning my travel to the other side of the pond and writing the travel diaries... I follow plenty of writers on both twitters who have paperbacks out on Amazon and make a keep from it, and I may even start following Stephen Fry on the ASW feed.  You never know.

I don't really see myself as having the tools or training to become a popular enough writer to go through print runs, and I know that at least my last blog had a cult following, a following that's gradually coming back for this one.  To my readers, I offer you thanks.  Sometimes people telling me that they love my blog, or that they were moved profoundly (stop laughing at the back) is one of the highest compliments I can receive, so I'm happy.  There is always plenty of praise for my programme notes after every concert, and in truth in makes me feel like I'm using my degree, because let's face it, singing in a Cathedral choir is not something that you train for specifically at University.  I'd really like to get into writing programme notes and CD liners and whatnot professionally, because people always prefer to read things than hear countertenors on the whole, and as much as a life of singing services is likely to be my bread and butter for years and years, I'd like to have that as a sideline.  Perhaps I should go back to university and do a history or English degree to get some credentials and contacts though?  But that might entail leaving Truro, and that isn't something I want to do right now.  It's on the cards, but... I told the Boss I'd be here for the next two years, so maybe I really ought to apply for something through clearing and have another life on the side.  I mean, I might even get a real job... Ahahahahaaaa...

No, there's definitely place for popular stuff.  I like how the prompt didn't say anything about quality, as there are many writers who sell millions because their books are excellent and they deserve success.  Equally there's so much trash floating around, but the market for that is as strong as ever.  I would want to stay here though, off the beaten track, and maybe one day I might just shell out and get my blogs printed, published and bound, bequeathed to the British Library or something as a snapshot of how a mind does, or more often doesn't work sometimes.  

But then again, I don't really write novels, do I?


Epilogue

Of course, it is still impossible to move anywhere on the internet today without the tragic death of Robin Williams at every corner.  Wherever you turn, there are tributes and photos and features on him, his career, and of course, depression.  Everyone who suffers knows that there is no sorrow like unto their sorrow, and I'm sure there will be hundreds of analytical post-mortems on Mr. Williams' own struggles with financial problems or substance abuse as well as mental ill health, but as a man who has stared down that knife edge wondering just what is the point anymore, I can't help but wonder what his tipping point could have been.  As much strength as it takes to decide to stay alive, it still takes a strength to go ahead with ending your own life.  I may write about being depressed a lot of the time (because I am), but I tend to stay away from writing about suicidal tendencies, so you don't call out the men in white coats on me.  The single thing that unites the articles I've read are to get out and get help and just talk to people.  Sometimes I'm still too afraid to reach out.

No comments:

Post a Comment