Wednesday 19 November 2014

Now Showing: Sound and Fury

Now, this isn't going to be easy, is it...

In the opening lines of last week's review of Fang Island, I made mention of how it was the first time I had written about something someone else had done blah blah blah... Completely forgetting that I had done a piece on Hercules, starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson!  Turns out I've been wanting to break out into talking about things other than my own screaming inadequacies for ages now oh well haha!  But to be fair to me, it was really just a one-shot, rather than part of a concerted effort like all this is, so you know, swings and roundabouts.  

I remember the point that I was making that it was probably the closest we'll ever get to a real Dungeons & Dragons or Fire Emblem movie we'll ever get; instead of using beloved and often bitterly defended characters and situations from those two properties, it uses a generic action adventure template with a simple team dynamic laid over a mythic, faux-ancient history setting, to stage a quest to save a land from invasion and a people from their own corrupt ruler.  Sound familiar?  It's pretty much the same basic plot that Intelligent Systems have used ever since 1990.  I'm not saying it's a bad one either, as really there's a lot of room for character development once you have that outline to hang things on.  

Thinking more about that piece also points out some things about my general film-going habits: I love uncomplicated blockbusters, hence the subtitle.  But looking at my shelf of DVDs you'd be forgiven for thinking that's some kind of red herring, what with my interest in foreign film, character-driven drama, intelligent sci-fi and of course, Batman.   I also have an unexpected love for the "oeuvre" of Steven Seagal, because there are times in all our lives where we just need a guy in a ponytail executing the most insane martial arts fight scenes to cheer us up.  I think my real favourite is The Glimmer Man, because it's just before he stops doing (mostly) his own fighting and stunts.  It's a 'buddy cop' film taken to an illogical and egregiously hilarious extreme, and I like that.  I like that a lot.

I also hold my hands up to liking some straight up terrible films as well.  For every La Vie en Rose there's Michael Bay's Transformers trilogy, for every Big Fish there's a... Uh, um, Matrix Revolutions?  I'd have said Keanu Reeves' Constantine but I actually thought it was quite good, bar the fact that they use character names and (tenuous at best) likenesses from Vertigo's Hellblazer - if only they had thought of an original set of names it might have garnered some light respect rather than the rough kicking it deserved as a film representation of "the" John Constantine.  I gather that the TV series is doing a bit of a better job, bar the fact that their Constantine is, well, clean.  As I read in the recent Comics Alliance article, Hellblazer's Constantine is the guy who gave Satan the middle finger, probably before, during or after calling him some choice names that couldn't possibly be published here, in time for last orders and chaining a pack of ten fags - not something that would really go down well on American Network prime time.

I'm also conscious of having no real or formal training in any kind of film study, no matter how much I throw the term "non-diegetic" into conversation, which makes me feel a little nervous in leaping in like this... But then how many people do their own blogs publishing reviews who have no similar experience?  At least in reviewing albums I have the fact that I'm an actual musician and have played bass guitar, banjo, keyboard and sang live, and also have recorded all of the above at some point, even if for GSCE and A-Level examination, that can stand up to scrutiny -  although if I ever use the phrase "as a professional musician" I demand that somebody comes and kills me.  Reach through the monitor and throttle me if you have to.  On the other hand, perhaps not having a formal background in film might help.  After all, it's about me and my reaction; you have not and could possibly not have had the experiences my life has (as I could not yours) that govern my judgements and my approach and appreciation of anything, really!  Just like with music, sometimes an op-ed, reactionary piece is much more effective in communicating how you might enjoy it, rather than a hardline technical analysis.  

In fact, there's yet more meaning behind the subtitle; I am a hyperactive adult with a mercilessly short attention span.  I have a lifelong love of comics, cape or not, Transformers, video games, anime, and all the associated trivia that goes with all of them, I often seek out loud films with out very much plot most of the time - hence Transformers (well) quadrilogy.  Fight Club is an excellent foil however, as not only is it full of explosions 'n shit and fighting and plot twists, but it's pretty close to the plot of the book, if slightly less disturbing by the end.  I really need to see Choke with Sam Rockwell and Angelica Houston to follow up my Chuck Palahniuk obsession.  But anyway, that's why most of my films are fast-pased action or brightly coloured comedy (Batman Movie 1966, I'm looking at you), because I like shiny things, basically.  My interest in foreign films stems from one of my ex-girlfriends from long ago, who would take me to an art house cinema as our dates (avec les sous-titres, naturellement); not exactly a natural habitat given my reputation but one must strive for a bit of class eh.

I'll be back, ev'n in the time appointed to bring you news from my local, The Plaza on Lemon street.  In fact, I'll wrap this by setting the scene... And don't forget to visit their website!


-"The Plaza Cinema is ideally situated on Lemon Street, slightly up the hill, taking it away from the bustle of the high street and the Hall for Cornwall, the city's venue for live performances, but close enough (much like everything else in Truro) to be no more than a ten minute walk.  Although there are only 4 screens, this is perfectly ample, with 1 being the largest and the following three gradually, but not markedly smaller.  In fact, I'd say that the smaller screens have as much going for them as the larger, allowing The Plaza to put on films with more intimate settings on a screen and room size that reflects the setting: Summer blockbusters like Guardians of the Galaxy and Transformers: Age of Extinction (and by extension all the upcoming Marvel and DC comic book films &c) belong in screen 1, while the modestly statured comic  A Thousand Ways to Die in the West and period drama Belle are complimented by the smaller setting afforded by screens 3 and 4, say.  'Found-Footage' style and other horror films also benefit, although in their case the rooms accentuate the claustrophobia. 

Seating is spacious and comfortable, there's no feel of faded grandeur here.  The staff are polite and friendly, most of them are young (younger than I am anyway), which along with the smaller size of the actual place itself makes it feel quite local, and certainly not in a bad way; Truro isn't exactly in a need of a colossal multiplex, and the nearby towns of Redruth and Falmouth are served by their own cinemas as well.

While not every film makes it as far west as Truro, The Plaza manage to get in showings of opera, ballet and stage theatre as well.  Alongside their honouring of the now ubiquitous 'Orange Wednesdays', they also have offers for senior cinema enthusiasts for showings before 7pm, and on Tuesdays all tickets are just £5 in the evening.

It might be the only cinema in Truro, but it's definitely a fine one.  Rather than try and throw bells and whistles, The Plaza distinguishes itself by doing things right: With a small but useful set of ticket offers, clean seats (notwithstanding the occasional discovery of a previous patron's underseat hiding of rubbish), welcoming staff and even refreshment prices that aren't too bad, The Plaza is definitely an excellent place to get a film in."-

No comments:

Post a Comment