Saturday 22 March 2014

But wait, there's more!

Ah, the shape of things to come...

Later today, I'll be posting the first 'long form' piece, my programme notes for this evening's concert given by Truro Cathedral Choir.  As you may have read already, they are a key part of last week's self-inflicted madness.  As doubtful as I am that any professional effort might get noticed, I think it's important to remind people that I don't just write endless moans and adolescent hiaku, but once upon a time succeeded in the sphere of academic writing upon such learned subjects as, oh say classical English Organ building (although I never did find out just where Father Smith came from).  As always, I enjoy preparing notes for concerts, and once in my second year at University discovered that my recital partner and I had managed to sneak a recital theme into our recital theme, in a pleasing meta- episode.

Speaking of Organ building, I'm drafting (yes, actually drafting!) a piece inspired by listening to the newly-restored Royal Festival Hall organ on Radio 3 (GASP) last night.  Having worshipped at the altar of Neo-Classicsism before, stark in both aesthetic and tonal outlook, the sound of the RFH instrument immediately brought to mind not only how lucky we are at Truro to have kept our Willis in almost original condition, but just how excellent that monster pinned to the west end really is at Mancroft.  More to come...

Also, I've been thinking about inviting guest writers to contribute material.  Unlike my last blog, which truly was one man's sullen journey through a life he didn't really understand how to interact with, this blog is about accepting and managing my fears so I can move into the next phase of my life hopefully with confidence, and of course finally travel to America (details to follow).  Rather than be focused on one tag line that was tre parts in una, I like to think that the Asylum has many rooms; rather than feel disappointed in myself if I can't write another 1000+ word post a week about me and what feelings are locked up inside my head, I should at least give myself room to not have to.  I have many friends on whom I rely probably more than they realise, and I would wish to reflect that in allowing their voices to have place here, as well as day-to-day.    It's something I need to think about carefully though, as I don't even have anything approaching a regular schedule myself yet!  I don't want to suddenly publish stuff from another that we never hear or see again.  Hopefully, accepting scrips and submissions will help my own style, and may even help expand my fictional voice to actually making stuff up rather than just wishful thinking...

This is all navel gazing at this stage though, but seemingly witless aspirations have won before.  I mean, I would never have left home if I never thought I'd actually make it to Uni, and I probably would never have been appointed Lay Vicar if I hadn't taken the plunge and applied to the scholarship at Truro.  I will land on Oregon soil yet, as insane as it seems.  The biggest hurdle is the money at the moment, but at least some things never change!

One thing that I am more satisfied with is that I've actually expanded the pages, as you can see on the top bar.  Not too much, but enough to get connected...and enough to be less anonymous.  Another thing about growing up that most people seem to want to forget about is that you become more accountable for your own actions, as much as that distresses me ever so slightly, I must learn to live with it if I'm going to have any hope of a life I can be proud of.  Growing up sucks, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment